8.04.2012

Goals to reach for...


Part of the reason I decided to start a blog was because I needed an outlet for me--I thought of trying to create a totally private blog, but then realized, I'm OK with people knowing what's going on inside my head (for the most part).  The other reason is some of my closest friends wouldn't believe my stories/experiences except that they have experienced them alongside.  So, I want to start recording these memories, these moments that make life worth living.

This blog hasn't really reached that point yet...what with my posting so sporadically and all.  I know true bloggers are much better at this public posting thing, but I rely on my witty or whimsical or cryptic two sentence facebook posts.  Yes, I am still stuck on facebook and most of my internet time is spent reading other's posts, commenting, liking, and viewing youtube videos my friends thought were good enough to repost.

So, I'm still reading this book The Happiness Project (I have a problem where I'm an all-or-nothing person and if a book doesn't grab me and pull me in, consuming late nights and lunch breaks, I make it about half way and then start a new book and then have multiple books waiting to be finished.  It's a problem I'm working on!)....anyway she talks about the need to blog every day if you want to be a writer.  I think writers are writers whether or not they are published, but to gain any sort of rhythm and reader-following, you need to be consistent.  Like exercise, sleeping and prayer, your best habits are simply showing up every day and doing the discipline, knowing that some days are more productive than others.  This has given me a lot of food for thought because to be honest, I'm just too busy for blogging every day.  Seriously.  This isn't an excuse--between early morning coffee dates, a full work day, volunteering, hanging out, mentoring, long-conversations, walks, dinners....well, I'm a busy girl!  So this has led me to reevaluate my time.

I am not in a position to quit my job...yet.  I need a few more things in place before I can do that.  It may take years, I'm realizing, and part of me struggles with that idea.  The other part realizes that this is the training and the discipline that will lead to eventual "success."  So I have recently been trying to reclaim my time that isn't at work.  I don't know if it's because I'm single or because I don't have a "group" of friends that always does the same thing, but I feel like my days are spread throughout the city of Milwaukee and its suburbs.  I try maximizing my weekdays with old friends, new friends, old coworkers, new coworkers, grandparents, parents, long-distance friends, and my favorite high school women.  I'm relational and I love that, but sometimes I forget that I'm really not that important.  I play a role in all these people's lives, but it's not the biggest role.  I never regret time spent with people, but maybe this time could be spent in other ways.....blogging, for instance.

Anyway, it's hard to know what to do with myself all the time.  I don't think my worth comes from producing, but I also don't want to be answering phone calls much longer (my current job, in case you didn't know).  So I find meaning from relationships and planning my next trip to visit friends.  I look at the Olympians who have focused their lives around "getting the gold".  I think all of us watching admire their discipline and focus.  You don't get to the Olympics by swimming a few laps a couple times a month.  You have a goal and you put your body through the discipline of reaching that goal.  My ultimate goal has been the same since I was ten: serve God with all my heart, soul, mind and body.  I have found while this is a great guiding goal, it doesn't always give concrete steps of if I am attaining it.  I think part of it is found in fellowship with other people--which is why so much of my time is spent with people.  It has other forms too, and I think my busyness has prevented me from knowing what that is.  So, here's to a renewed attempt to be a writer, be a thinker, be a friend, and let the excess die away.

Thoughts?  What goals are you not reaching and why is that?


1 comment:

  1. Well, a short term goal was to read The Happiness Project, which I saw at CostCo and thought was interesting looking. Unfortuntely, I just never got to it (that time thing of which you were speaking). I returned it Thursday, so the Happiness goal may be finished.

    Seriously, your reflection on using time does resonate with me.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
avocados are my sign. i just love them. i have a few stories when i just needed to know that someone cared, that God was listening and *poof* an avocado in my life. this green butter is the goodness placed in the right place at the right time. i hope this blog is such to you, dear reader.

Followers