8.13.2013

packing


Packing. 

Stuff accumulated throughout the years
Overwhelms me as I minimize.
Assess.  Memories and things.
Reduce.  Need, want, share, give, keep.
Pack.  Boxes and Suitcases.
Overwhelming task.
What will the future hold?
Need. Want. Surrender. Trust.
Suitcases fill.  Too full.
Unpack, assess, reduce, repack.

He sent them out into towns and villages and commanded them: Take no extra bag or tunic.  Trust.
Wherever you go, enter a house and say, “shalom.” Peace. 
While there, take your fill of hospitality. Provision.
Store up your treasures in heaven where moths do not destroy or baggage handlers steal.  Memories eternal.

Late nights assessing and reducing and boxing and storing.
Weighing bags too heavy for the airport.
Fines and extra bag waived through the mercy of God who knows I tried to leave it all but how hard it is for the rich to enter a plane.  Rich in things, but not in service to them.  Search and know my anxious thoughts. 

Peace.



I arrived safely in Bangkok after at least three days of minimal sleep.  There were hardly any tears in goodbye hugs this time—assurances of future conversations kept us strong.  But as cars drove away or phone calls ended, we knew it was beautiful to cry for our sweet love and submitting to the unknown future.  Alone and exhausted on the plane, my little tv screen shows movies that aren’t sad, but make me cry freely for the brokenness of humanity, the reality of loss, grief, joy, hope.  My building emotions from the weeks of preparation combined with exhaustion, bubble tears to the surface watching movies about other people’s lives in a day of immobility sitting next to honeymooners.  I’m thankful for it all—for the gifts, the prayers, the commissioning, the moving.  For knowing that my treasures aren't in earthly possessions.  For old friends sending me off and for new friends welcoming me in.  I have no idea what the future holds, but the God of shalom has said he will never leave me.  He sends us all out but I am the blessed one who gets this time, this place.  Welcome home, Bangkok.

4 comments:

  1. I love your poem. I can't wait to hear more about your new life in Thailand :) Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you already! Truly. But I know you are being faithful to His call on your LIFE....Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so strong lady. You are taking a bold step, but God will meet you there. I am excited for you and all that you to be doing while you take this step of faith. Galatians 6:9 sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for writing, Joann. Your words are blessings - each and every one.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
avocados are my sign. i just love them. i have a few stories when i just needed to know that someone cared, that God was listening and *poof* an avocado in my life. this green butter is the goodness placed in the right place at the right time. i hope this blog is such to you, dear reader.

Followers