8.15.2013

One day in Bangkok


August 15, 2013


First day in Bangkok.

On August 14, 2013: Finished traveling after more than 24 hours and was so thankful for a bed.

August 15, 2013:
5AM—wake up with no hope of going back to sleep.  That made for about 5 hours of sleep but when you are awake, you are awake.  I did one of my exercise DVDs, unpacked everything, blogged my poem, spent time with Jesus and was off and running.  I have am renting a room from an American couple that has a guest room for these first couple weeks while I apartment hunt.  It has a little couch and a private bathroom with hot water and flushing toilets.  The ease of life!

Options for public transport
9AM---Met up with Janine and her “adopted” son, Shanzam, who is a refugee seeking asylum from Pakistan because he was given multiple death threats for being born into a non-Muslim family.  He’s nineteen, shy, and kind, with an ailing father he left behind in Pakistan and five younger sisters.  I’m sure I will get to know him much more in this year and spent my first day with someone from Pakistan.


High Rise buildings and infrastructure
  
9:15AM---We took the rail to the hospital so I could be approved by a doctor to start the application for a work visa.  It was a nice hospital!  Super easy.

The Rail--I forget the official name.  Totally normal.  Those two girls are on their iphones, one reading a magazine, a tv in the background advertising.

The Fanta wall coming up the escalator on the rail

A typical intersection.

11:30AM—Ate lunch at a Lebanese place.  Who would have thought my first meal in Thailand would be Lebanese food?  Quite fun, actually. 


Street art
Coke truck--just like normal!
1PM—We went back to the hospital to pick up the results of my blood test and see if Shanzam has a tumor since he has these intense headaches behind his eye/nose region.  The results for his was negative and for mine—I am fit to work.  We took a taxi to the lawyer’s office to get started on my work permit.

QUEEN of Thailand is on every corner
Just like a normal hospital

Look how happy this couple is to have air conditioning!

I'm officially registered at The Bangkok Christian Hospital

Elephants are great, but idolatry isn't cool....there is food sacrificed on the statue.

3PM—took a taxi part way but then the traffic was so bad we took the rail the rest  of the way back to Janine’s place.  I took a nap as jet lag hit like a wall. 



the toll rode to the lawyer's--HUGE billboards

More gigantic billboards.  Seriously massive.

Fruit--Asian fruit!

Rambutan--it's like Indonesia.
Durian--the stinky fruit.  Asians love it.  Foreigners don't typically and I would fall into that category.  Tried it once 7 years ago and that was enough for me.


6PM—Walked to meet some people from the church I’ll be attending while here.  The small group was really awesome—people from England, Australia, Pakistan, Puerto Rico, Thailand, and America—there may have been other places too but I can’t remember.  Some people work at the US embassy, some are business people, some are working with women trying to get out of prostitution….and many other things.  I am excited to plug into a small group while here—that will probably be my friendship base.

pin for the group.  cute?  I forget what it stands for.....LIFE group.
A VW bar on the street
 9PM—Walked “home” from group.  Passed the nightlife that attracts tourists from near and far.  Disgusting, actually.  Probably the same people that are advocates for a more eco-friendly world have no problems coming and taking advantage and propagating the corruption a different culture.  Partying and buying sex on every corner.  I don’t blame the women, who are often controlled by others and lack education and resources—I blame the business men and tourists.  I’m sure I will have many reflections on this part of life in the next year.

I think I decided last night that I will try formally learning Thai while here—at least the basics of foods and getting around.  The first day was pretty intense, but today (day 2) will be much more relaxed—exploring the city and reading and such.  Trying to figure out what my schedule will be longer term.

This city is strange....I've decided it's a strange mix between London, Amsterdam and Indonesia.  There are SO MANY foreigners I can't believe it.  It will be a very different experience than Indonesia was for that reason.  Also, it's a Buddhist culture instead of a Muslim one so that is way different.  Bars on the street?  I can't even imagine that in Indo.  And public prostitution?  Idols?  Madness.  There is every type of food imaginable (I feel a little ridiculous that I brought so many granola bars).  There are street vendors and luxury stores.  Cracks in the sidewalks (Janine calls them gringo catchers!) and 5-star hotels.  

From Bangkok,
JoAnn




I have been reading this devotional that is meant for NYC leaders, CEOs, executives, business people….but it is just so rich in content, I feel dutiful to share.  You can access these by looking up 843 Acres online.  J

Fearlessness: Jesus wants us to live fearlessly. And he longs for us to know that our ability to live fearlessly is not based on our own resources - money, abilities, looks, status, connections - but on our knowing that God is for us. Here, in Luke 12, Jesus tells us not to fear those who kill the body because God will be for us in death [1]. He also tell us not to fear persecution because the Holy Spirit - not our creativity or shrewdness - will prepare us [2]. Finally, he tells us not to worry about having things because our Father knows what we need [3].

Seeking: What kind of living makes us fearless? Jesus says, "Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you" [4]. In other words, everything we need to live a fearless life - hope in death, escape from persecution, sustenance in life - will be given to us if we seek the kingdom. John Piper writes, "Jesus calls us to replace thing-seeking with kingdom-seeking" [5]. Yet Jesus knows that it is hard to stop thing-seeking. Most of us love thing-seeking so much that kingdom-seeking seems like a threat to our desires, hopes and dreams. Into our fear, however, Jesus promises, "Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom" [6].

Kingdom: When Jesus calls us to put down thing-seeking and take up kingdom-seeking, he is calling us to be different from the world in its pursuit of things [7] and to give away things for the sake of the kingdom [8]. We fear doing these things because we wonder, "If we turn from thing-seeking to kingdom-seeking, will we be happy and able to survive?" But Jesus says, "Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." It is in the kingdom, not in things, where we find the things we truly seek - joy, fullness, home, restoration, fulfillment, healing, family, love, advocacy, service, peace, truth.

Prayer: Lord, We confess that we fear this message because we are thing-seekers, not kingdom-seekers. If we believe it, then you may call us to live radically different lives. Knowing our fearful hearts, however, you tell us not to fear. For you delight to give us the kingdom. Therefore, let us trust you more than our money, abilities, looks, status and connections. Make us treasure the kingdom by making us fall in love with the King. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
avocados are my sign. i just love them. i have a few stories when i just needed to know that someone cared, that God was listening and *poof* an avocado in my life. this green butter is the goodness placed in the right place at the right time. i hope this blog is such to you, dear reader.

Followers