Every now and again I try my hand at poetry. It's one of my goals to read more poetry, ever since a professor in college had us memorize poems for exams while gallivanting around England. Wordsworth, Keats, Yeats and Byron became not just familiar names, but authors of familiar poems. I still recall sitting in a circle quoting poetry to each other.
Of course, quoting poetry is not like writing it. I know some rules--Imabic pentameter, couplets, haiku, and sonnets are the most formal poetry style I can imitate. But sometimes I feel like words are burning through my soul, drifting around in my mind, and stirring my heart. It's usually images or strong descriptive words. Occasionally alliteration will find itself itching into illustrations. In those times, rules become harder to for me to follow.
Last year, when refugees fled, when bullets shot civilians in Syria and Paris (and many other places!), I needed an outlet. I wrote this poem as a work in progress, but think it's ready to be shared in its progress.
"Terror 2015"
Boom. Bombs and bullets pierce
Restaurants and music halls
Hospitals and schools
Church walls echoing joyful songs
Become ruins beneath dirges
The call to prayer goes out
The one who answers
Calls his mother on the phone
Next to a driver and the explosion
Changes everything into
Dust and Ashes.
Flash. We sit in a movie theater
Pretending the terror is elsewhere
Hoping to remain safe
And isolated
Holding a hand and a phone
When the screen shatters
And smoke fills the air
Is this a movie?
We cannot hear
We cannot see
Bodies and Blood.
We long for the day
When night is safe
When countries are homes
And trust
Overflows into borders and
I call you neighbor
And I know you name
You know my children
Take care of my mother
For I must leave
Country and Countrymen.
Do not think He
Has come to bring
Peace, but a sword.
We trade our
Swords for plowshares
And You repair the broken ear
Of a solider doing his duty
In the garden on the night
Of Your greatest
Voluntary suffering
Crucifix and Thorns.
Staying here
Will be safe
The goal of my life
The drudgery of work
A glimmer in the distance
Where dirt and ashes
Are covering bloody bodies.
Leave country and countrymen?
Take up the cross?
Higher up and Further in.
Give us eyes to put down
Our swords and phones
To know our neighbors
And live in awareness
That you are with us
That you have not asked us
To take up a cross you did not
First take up
In a country that was not your home.
Come Quickly, Lord.

No comments:
Post a Comment