10.07.2013

stolen wallet

Yes, I took a picture of this 2 weeks ago because I thought it seemed none-too-comforting then.  Notice picture #1 is very accurate--my wallet even has pink on it.  #2 is the more dangerous of things because you can get dragged along with the motorbike or get burned by the pipe or wheel.  As mine happened inside a store, there were no motorized vehicles involved.



My wallet was stolen yesterday.  Afterwards, you think a thousand thoughts: "Was that what that tugging was?  Is that why there were always so many people by me in the store--this was a group heist? Did I zip my purse? Did I drop my wallet?"  But in the end, the result is the same....and I am pretty certain now that I've had a day to reflect that they saw me at the ATM and then go into the store and thought I had a lot of cash on me and unzipped my purse and took out the wallet.  What followed was me looking at security footage throughout the store with the security guard, Janine and another friend coming to comfort me and give me some cash and buy me dinner while we figure things out.  However, like all things, we have to see the blessings because things could ALWAYS be worse.  Below are a list of my blessings, made immediately upon discovery of a stolen wallet.

1.  I tithed at church in the morning after a debate about it because I may end up going to another church, so I was like, "what if that church needs it more than this one?"  Then I decided it's never about that and it's always about my own heart and that I didn't want to give any money this week.  Anyway, I'm glad that debate worked itself out because the end result would be the same--I don't have the money to spend.  One because I willing gave; the other because it was taken from me.  Although my exact thought was: "At least the bastards can't steal money that isn't there," which seems a little less holy of a thought.

2.  They didn't take my phone, which is sometimes in my wallet.  This would have been awful because it's my mode of connection and I don't have anyone's number written down.

3.  They didn't take my purse, so I still had my keys, my train pass, my phone, my journal, my umbrella. 

4.  I didn't take out money from the ATM!  This is really the most miraculous thing of all.  I went to two different ATMs at the front of the store--one was out of order and the other I couldn't take out as much as I wanted (ATM fees here are pretty steep, so I try to take out the maximum to avoid fees since this is a cash-based society and my rent and food and most things in between have to be paid in cash).  Anyway, so I decided I would just wait a day and take it out at a different ATM.  I'm pretty sure that the person saw me at the front and then followed me around the store--much to their surprise there wasn't much in there because I didn't take it money out after all.  Hahaha.  Suckers.
(Also, lesson learned.  Don't take money out in the store before shopping or if I do, be amazingly cautious.)

5.  I canceled my ATM and Credit Cards immediately on my phone.  I'll pick them up in person in 6 weeks when I pass through.

6.  Friends came to be with me and lent me money and bought me dinner.

7.  My passport wasn't in the wallet.

8.  I know Janine and I will figure it out so I can borrow money from her for the next month.

9.  There was no violence or any type of physical aggression. 

10.  I got my wallet back!  Security called me and said they found it chucked on one of the shelves.  I really like this wallet and my grandma gave it to me as a gift right before coming, so I am happy to have it back. 

There we go.  10 blessings of a pickpocket victim.  I hope you have a fabulous day and use your credit card when you can because life is more fun with a credit card than with cash.

One of my Korean friends made this for me--I'm glad she thinks I look good in it.  I think I look dazed and confused--this was probably the look on my face at the register when I realized I couldn't buy the food I planned on buying because I didn't have the money I planned on having. And I was trying to be positive, so the fake smile would have been in play.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
avocados are my sign. i just love them. i have a few stories when i just needed to know that someone cared, that God was listening and *poof* an avocado in my life. this green butter is the goodness placed in the right place at the right time. i hope this blog is such to you, dear reader.

Followers