2.22.2013

reasons to believe: [prayer]

Alright, this is really just going to be a quick rant about prayer.

When I was a young Christian, I thought I should pray and felt guilty that I didn't do it more--that I didn't have "set times in my day" where I would sit and pray or journal.  That I didn't make it to meetings where there was prayer.  That I didn't pray before every meal.  That I was annoyed by lengthy prayers in church.

But all that has changed as this baby Christian has grown up.  My heart has been changed and I no longer feel guilt as much as desire.  I mean, when you see prayer answered immediately, who can doubt the power?  And who can doubt that prayers that aren't answered immediately aren't lovingly heard by our Father and he has a different plan in mind.  More like a conversation with a friend and they see things differently--but are always right. 

I think too that I have learned how to pray about things and that is a key factor in maturity.  Sometimes I still ask and struggle with the "why?" of things and ask for an answer, but more often I pray that I will be faithful in the struggle and feel God with me in it--after all, if he is with me, I can face all things.  And if he is good, all things will work for his glory.

I have a million thoughts about this and want to expand, but time limits me today.  Instead, I just want to say that this morning I was praying for one of my co-workers who is suffering.  I prayed that God would comfort her and that she would know without a doubt that it was Him comforting and it was a direct result of my prayers (so that she would know/ understand his love in suffering).  Anyway, I prayed this, knowing the God of all comfort would be a comforter, but not knowing if I would ever have clarity that she knew it was from my prayers.  Then I come into the office and the first email I read is from the manager: "I received an email [from said co-worker] this morning thanking you all for the thoughts and prayers...they are clearly felt."  The time of the email?  The time I was sitting on the sofa, drinking tea and praying exactly for that.

What aren't we asking for? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
avocados are my sign. i just love them. i have a few stories when i just needed to know that someone cared, that God was listening and *poof* an avocado in my life. this green butter is the goodness placed in the right place at the right time. i hope this blog is such to you, dear reader.

Followers